Monday, July 25, 2011

Journal #3: Abracadabra–It's Augmented Reality!

Raphael, R. (2011). Abracadabra-it's augmented reality!. Learning & Leading with Technology,38(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-june-july-2011.aspx
[NETS 1, II, III]

Journal #3: “Abracadabra—It’s Augmented Reality”

The funny is, when I started reading this article I was clueless what the term “augmented reality,” meant. I quickly realized though, as the author Raphael started pointing out examples, that I did know what AR is, and I had seen examples of it in real life. Most notably, that pesky “yellow line” that appears on the screen during football games. The idea of incorporating AR into the classroom setting with my future students is an exciting prospect, if not a little overwhelming to think about. One of the best features of this article is the in-depth look at Zooburst that Raphael treats the reader too. He makes it sound so easy to use, but my brain immediately starts to think, is this really doable for a novice tech teacher? I assume like anything else, if I can  find the time to learn  the program, it would go a long way in enhancing the way any student, but especially students in special education learn.


Q: What do you think about the fine line between access and privacy as related to the portion of the article entitled “Social Networks?” 

A: Another interesting topic of interest related to this article corresponds with topic of social networks. Soon, if not already, Raphael points out that with the flick of a wrist, we will be able to point our phones at another human being and pull up their FB status, recent tweets, etc. I always feel like this type of access is a catch 22. We want to be able to connect with the human race at the touch of a button, but more important to me is the privacy we lose from this simple action. I like the idea of being able to keep this information public for professional reasons, such as connecting electronically with other schools and classrooms, but it also makes me think my students as well as my own personal accounts and how we lose our privacy if anyone can just look us up by walking by. There has to be a balance, more like settings, that keep the students safe, while gaining knowledge from these tools.


Q: How would this technology help students in special education?

I see this being a tool that bridges the gap for students who have a hard time sitting and putting pen to paper day after day as they learn to build on writing and storytelling. It could be motivation to start the writing process by mapping out their thoughts and then transferring and molding their story using the techniques accessed in Zooburst. Once a teacher is proficient in the material, the prospect of using this type of technology could go hand in hand with the daily learning calendar and be a true education changer in the way students in special education process and retain what they are learning, as well as their interactions in a classroom setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment